Yesterday September 22, 2012 the Huffington Post reported on the following gains of a dual language school in California. The article entitled Education Nation: Finding Classroom Success In Bilingual Mix Of Spanish, English can be found by clicking here.
The main points of this article are the following:
1. Children learn best when they can use the mother tongue/native language as they become bilingual
2. Hispanic children/students are successful learners like ALL other students including than Anglo students!
3. Bilingual and bi-literate students has the power to gain more over the professional career
4. Bilingual and bi-literate programs support cultural diversity and prepares children to participate in a multi-cultural America
5. Investing in our students pay off despite legislation that outlaws the use of bilingual programs!
6. Dual language programs are communities that engaged all parents and have more respect for diverse cultures
7. Dual language programs prepare children for a global economy
8. Often times students in dual language programs outperform students, including Anglo and Asian students, when learning in dual language programs
9. Anglo students also outperform their peers in monolingual English only programs
Don't we all want this for our children?
Thank you Education Nation for highlighting this very successful school.
I am happy I can be a parent, researcher, and education consultant working with dual language programs in Boston. See