Here is a great small collection of readings and websites that district leaders can explore and disseminate to the district and school staff as they get ready to role out MTSS (RTI and PBIS).
Getting the Vision of the MTSS model in your district is key! Think about an internal and external presence and engage parents from the start. Here are a few links to the parent guide for RTI from the National Center for Learning Disabilities and the Florida MTSS homepage for parents and ideas on developing the message.
http://www.ncld.org/learning-disability-resources/ebooks-guides-toolkits/parent-guide-response-intervention ( please note it can be downloaded into PDF if you prefer to read it this way).
Video for parents about MTSS in Florida http://www.florida-rti.org/parentResources/videos.htm (may help in drafting MPS’s preview video in addition to the one we sent from Boston Public Schools)
Get your district reading and building a common understanding of MTSS with these articles and websites:
1. Common Core State Standards and Diverse Urban Students: Using Multi-tiered Systems of Support (2012) a report by the Council for Great City Schools.
2. Introduction to Response to Intervention: What, Why, and How valid is it (2009) by Fuchs and Fuchs, New Directions in Education Journal.
3. Multi-tiered System of Supports by Rinaldi and Higgins (2011) article published in District Administrator magazine
4. The Campus Principal and RTI Implementation (2010) by Hamilton for the National Forum of Educational Administration and Supervision Journal
Websites and Links for staff: FREE Professional Development
1. Getting started: http://rtinetwork.org/getstarted/develop
2. Here is the link to the Florida MTSS State webpage with resources for educators and parents- http://www.florida-rti.org/floridaMTSS/index.htm
3. Tools and Interventions Summary Charts http://www.rti4success.org/resources/tools-charts
4. Free online professional development module for teachers and administrators on RTI implementation http://iris.peabody.vanderbilt.edu/module/rti01-overview/
Claudia is the Endowed Joan Wieler Arno 49 Professor at Lasell University. She is currently a full professor of education and chair of the Education Program. Claudia has been a teacher, researcher, consultant, and professor of special education.